Full Moon 5K

Just a little background on our Saturday...Kelly and I had ran 8 miles at 6 a.m. Stuart and I spent the rest of the day in Perry, OK. And, we almost got into a car wreck on the way home (someone ran a red light, and hit the people behind us.) So it had been a crazy day, and I really wasn't expecting much in terms of time for this race.
Saturday in the Park...
I think it was the day I got a PR (personal record)! We arrived to the park, after only a couple of mishaps involving directions, and my friend Ashleigh Smith. The Full Moon is a fun run, they serve beer, pizza, and have a lot of activities. After the race they also have a live band. As we are lining up to start the race, I mention to Kelly that I had been having so much fun with all my friends, that I had kind of forgotten that we were there to run. We had also ran into our friend Glen, so we talked to him for a few minutes before the gun went off. I also mention to Kelly that maybe the 8 mile run, wasn't such a good plan. But, then we were off!
25:42-Are you kidding me?
I do have to mention right now, that my watch said 25:30. But, who is going to argue over a few lousy seconds-that is the fastest I have ever run in my whole entire life! And, just so you all understand the impressiveness of it all, I had run 8 miles, yes 8 whole miles, before running at this superhuman speed! And, just because I am this impressed with myself, I will tell you that I was the in the top three of the women in the 29 age group. I was 20/111 of my entire age group. So I feel like I have a reason to brag!
So afterwards, I am headed for my free beer, pretty much the only reason I sign up for this race. And, April and I run into some of the older Runners' World guys, who ask us how medical school is going. Yes, you read that correctly-me+medical school. After I stopped laughing hysterically, I informed him that he was misinformed, I was not in medical school. Other things to note:
1) We saw an either very intoxicated, or very confident lady dancing wildly to the band. Can't even begin to give you all a good picture, but Stuart and I enjoyed the show she provided!
2) Stuart and Jay challenging April and I to a race next year. They think they can beat us. Of course, this is before I ran like a Kenyan:)
3) I hardly ever drink, but mention free beer in the park, and look out! I am always in favor of free beer!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

good job Ashley!! That is an awesome time, I am proud of you!!! I am still only up to about 5 miles...just can't seem to get motivated to go further. I have a 10k memorial day weekend and then I did put myself in raffle for NY marathon.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into the KC Marathon in October? I'm starting to throw the idea around. A possible road trip up on a Friday and then race on Saturday. Return Saturday night or Sunday. Sure I could get Brenda on board. Anyway, know that this race exist.