Little Rock Half-Marathon!


Megan and I started our day off early at the La Quinta Inn in Little Rock, AR. After only a few short hours of sleep due to some drag racing (not us, but on the street outside our room), and a loud a/c unit, we were excited to be around all the other runners.
We got in the elevator on the way to go to the trolley, and some 'older' runners were already in the elevator. They made comments about our ipods. In the form of, 'you do know that ipods are illegal in the race.' Well, of course we know that ipods are 'considered' illegal, but most race officals just turn their heads. But, I started joking with the guy that I wasn't too worried about getting DQed. I was joking 'Yeah, if I get DQed they may take away my prize money.' Then he went into a long explanation of different certifications of courses, etc. Mostly I just nodded my head thinking-wow, is my ipod really worth this lecture?
Luckily, we got off the elevator, and the atmospere was contagious! We were soon riding the adrenaline rush as we waiting in line to get on the trolley.
As we arrived down to the starting line I then realized that this was going to be a big race! We met a few friends, Brenda, April, and Glen. Had a few minor snags as we waiting to get started, Brenda realized she left her timing chip at the hotel (her husband brought it down), I walked in on a guy in the bathroom (use the lock!), and I thought that the air sprays in the potta potties were hand sanitizers. But, we got through the craziness, and lined up!
The Race!
We started lining up in the 'corrals.' Yes, I did say corrals, like cattle. I kept joking with Megan, that if they had cattle prods, I bet we would all run a lot faster!
Mile 1 & 2-These miles were rough due to the amount of people. There were a lot of people entered as 'walker' and it was tough going to try to get through the people. Lots of weaving back and forth, and that is tough.
I hate to see them leave, but I love to watch them go...
Megan and I came upon a photographer, and we began smiling, until we noticed he was actually facing the other direction (like he was taking pictures of the back of the runners.) We both, being typical women, start freaking out! We didn't want him taking pics of our backsides. Then we realized that he was actually taking pics of the wheelchair 5K participants coming from the other direction. Ooops!
Mile 2 & 3-My own personal cheerleader. Megan had thought she would run with me for the first few miles, then want to slow down. I swear it was the other way. She was so great-she knew I had a time I wanted to make, and she was going to make me get that time no matter what!
Mile 4 & 5-Megan is riding her own personal running high. I am struggling-I now fully am understanding the effects of not doing a very good taper. A taper is when you don't run as much the week before a race, so that you are fresh the day of the race. I decided that I was superwoman, and ran just as much as I normally do. And, we are keeping a faster pace than we would normally for a long run, as well as trying to play catch up from our slow start.
Other notable mentions from these few miles, Little Rock is a marathon town! The entire way has spectators cheering you on. At one point there is a house handing out beer-which we did see a girl take a quick swig as she ran by! We also ran by the mayor of Little Rock.
Mile 6 & 7-We begin to slow a little bit, we had been running a fairly quick pace for about 4 miles, and are both beginning to hurt. But, just when I am thinking that this is getting too hard, we encounter the 'Methodist Mile.' Which I have to say was the coolest thing ever to me for some reason! The entire choir from the church is standing outside singing, and there are a bunch of people outside cheering. I loved that moment, and it is one that has stayed with me.
Mile 8 & 9-Wow, what to say...not much at this point! We run by a lady yelling at all the runners, comments vary..'you are not tired'...'you keep going girl'....'you can do this'...'you better pick up the pace'...'you run up that hill, baby'...'you better stop slowing down!' This cracked us up! Also, around this point we run by the governor's mansion. Kind of neat.
Mile 10 & 11-Okay, we are getting close. All I needed to see was that Mile 10 marker. I pick up the pace-Megan mentions that I now 'have a little pep in my step.' I remember this so well! Thank you Megan! Also want to mention at this point, we have our names on our race numbers. I took my long sleeve shirt where mine was pinned at about 1/2 mile! But, Megan still had hers on, and people have been saying 'Go, Roper(her last name)' for the entire race. But, she is just now noticing that people are calling out her name!
We also pass another church that has a ton of kids standing out front with their hands out for high fives. I have to stop to give them all high fives-I figured that a better time, was not worth not giving these kids that were out on a Sunday morning to cheer us on a quick high five. Another highlight of the race for me!
Mile 12 & 13-So we pass the mile marker for mile 12 twice. It appears that since the marathoners veer off course for about 1/2 mile, their mile 12 comes a little before the half marathoners mile 12. What the h***! Are you serious! I was seriously excited when we saw the first mile 12 marker, because I thought Megan and I were about 5 minutes ahead of our goal. Then when they told us that was only for the marahoners-I was a little ticked off. Oh, well off and running! We hit mile 12 with energy. Megan stops for a drink yelling she would catch up, but I just keep going. At mile 12.75 there is a L'oreal lipstick stop which was pretty funny! But, Megan has caught up, and we are really going by this point. We cross the finish line, and I am in awe because we are so close to my goal time! Which would mean I took 10 minutes off my Route 66 time. We go get our metals, and they are offering those funny foil blankets again. So I line up telling the guy 'Wrap me up, please!' Megan finds this so funny that I finally was willing to get wrapped up in the blanket. We grab our snack packs and head off to get our picture taken.
Megan is riding the high from finishing her first half marathon! She had thought she would finish in 2:30, instead our 'official time' is 2:12! We are both excited, and both agree if we wouldn't have had to weave so much in the first couple of miles, we would have hit 2:10.
Things I learned:
1) A friend that is willing to make sure you get your goal time is one of the best friends you will ever have!
2) Never ever, ever believe the people who tell you things such as 'It's all down hill from here' or 'the hills aren't that bad.' They are never true! A bunch of people in Little Rock have shirts saying either 'What Hills?' or 'Got Hills?' Funny, huh? Just wait until you are the one running!
3) Tapering is a serious thing-I will take tapering very seriously from now on!
4) Some older gentlemen runners do not find it amusing when you bump their hand on accident, then joke 'sorry, I just just trying to hold your hand.' Just ask Megan! This guy had no sense of humor.
5) Hey as long as you are not planning on winning, or trying to qualify for Boston, blow off the rules! We both ran with our ipod the entire race (neither one of us turned them on), but hey some rules are made to be broken!
6) Body Glide, or Vaseline can save your hide! I had to use some in a sensitive area where my skirt tag rubs (my backside!) But, it literally saved my butt.
7) Last but not least, those foil blankets are lifesavers. They really keep you warm as your body cools down. Plus, it makes me laugh to watch everyone look like baked potatoes that are about to go in the oven.
Oh, and I want to thank Little Rock Marathon organizers for my new obsession with Little Debbie treats. Those things are awesome!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about the Porta Potty Smell....Good job on the run.

See you at the Memorial. Full? or Half?

FYI..My blog is up now. However, it seems lame compared to yours. Keep writing. I enjoy seeing other runner perspectives. Plus i'll pass this on to other runner blog readers.

Anonymous said...

have you looked at the photos from the Little Rock Marathon Page? You have a great post race picture.

Kaci said...

You're on for Nike Women's marathon 2010!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your 20 miler this weekend. I know you can do it. Yes, the weather could be tough but hey, you completed the Beacon. That says alot. Keep us (Brenda, Alex, and I) posted on things go this weekend.