Route 66 Half-Marathon 11/17/08


Well, I have been encouraged to write some more anecdotes from my running. I am sure there are many of you sighing out there saying, you have to be kidding me, is she really sending me another email about running…
So I just wanted to clear up some things about the last email that have been questioned. Yes, I really did fall on the treadmill. You see, there are these big signs in my gym that say no cell phone use. I just assumed it meant no cell phones because it disturbs other people (and apparently, I didn't care about that). But, no it means no cell phone use because no one is talented enough to run on the treadmill and talk on the phone. So yes, I did fall, in front of an entire gym full of people, and scrape my elbow.
Half-Marthon highlights
1) Always double check your online registration before you hit send. If not you could end up in a bind like me. I recieved my email confirmation, and noticed that it listed me as a male. I thought I had this fixed, until I got to the Expo to pick up my race packet. I noticed that they still had me listed as a male, which caused a lot of laughing, I am assuming because I was dressed in high heels, a pencil skirt, and cute little sweater. But, all the volunteers had to come over to laugh at me, while they called me a transgender, after they finally stopped laughing I was sent over to a table to fix this issue. Well, the form I had to fill out had Old listed on one side, New listed on the other, so you guessed it, I had to put old gender male, new gender female. So this caused great laughter over there at my expense as well. Then the jerky Fleet Feet guy had to see what the comotion was all about. And, he pointed out that I in fact filled out the online registration myself, so I obviously listed myself as a male. Jerk!!
2) Well, I thought I would tell everyone that my husband is very smart! He not only explained K's to me. It turns out K's are a measurement of distance, they actually equal 1000 meters. How this helps me or relates to miles, I have no idea. He also expained splits to me this weekend. Splits are a very technical running term. You pretty much have to be a math genius to figure them out. It is where you take the total time you ran divide by how many miles, then you get how many minutes it took you to run each mile. Unfortunately, I didn't have him on the race with me, and I couldn't quite figure out this concept on my own. This is way beyond the math that I learned at SHS.
3) Foil blankets. At the end of the run, they try to wrap you up in a foil blanket. I had no idea what they were for, and I was a little hesitant. So when the lady tried to wrap me up in one, I just looked at her and said "No thanks, I am not a baked potato." She kind of gave me that look that says 'whatever crazy lady.' I guess that the foil blankets are meant to keep you warm after the race. Keep you warm, I was sweating like crazy!
4) Runner's High. Now this is not something you get from smoking illegal substances before you go running. This is what happens to runners as their bodies release endorphins, and give them a temporary sense of ephoria (can you believe I know all that science?). Now I don't want to cause a massive stampede as you all run out the door to get your natural high, becasue I also got the Runners lows this race. When I was struggling up the mamoth mountain in Woodward park trying not to cry, and this 75 year old man runs by me, telling me I could do it (should this have been reversed?)! Once I managed to catch my breath, I asked him how many half marathons he has completed, this was his sixth! I am pretty sure he beat me!
So all in all it was a lot of fun! I finished in 2:20, which was five minutes shy of my 2:15 goal. But, there is always next time!

No comments: